Coffee isn’t just a comforting hug in a mug – it can also spark your creativity! From cooking and crafting to body care, sewing and gardening, you can use coffee grounds, beans, and repurposed containers in a variety of coffee crafts.
Try these at-home activities and show us your creations! Upload your pictures on Facebook or Instagram and tag your favorite brand.
COFFEE CRAFT #1: COFFEE CAN PLANTER
Upcycle your ground coffee cans into planters and vases to fill your home or office with greenery.
WHAT YOU NEED:
HOW TO CREATE:
- Empty and rinse your coffee can and remove any attached labels or stickers
- Spray paint the exterior of the can with your color of choice. Two or three coats may be necessary to completely coat the can.
- Once the paint is dry, add a drop of hot glue to the bottom of the can to attach twine.
- Wrap twine around the can to desired height or pattern.
- Add soil, water, and your favorite houseplant, herbs or flowers.
COFFEE CRAFT #2: BE A STAY-AT-HOME BARISTA OR COFFEE CHEF
If you occasionally grab your morning cup of coffee from a local shop and are missing your favorite barista, now is the time to brush up your stay-at-home coffee skills. You can use your favorite beans and brews to make barista-quality drinks at home. Here are a few of our favorite recipes:
- Hills Bros.® Cappuccino Float
- 5 Ways to Enjoy Kauai Coffee Cold Brew
- Chock full o’Nuts® Devilishly Delightful Iced Coffee
COFFEE CRAFT #3: SINGLE-SERVE POD SEED STARTERS
Get your garden growing by repurposing single-serve coffee pods into seed starters! Follow these easy steps:
- Gather 10-12 used single-serve coffee pods.
- Remove the lid and dump out the coffee grounds. If you compost at home, coffee is a safe and nutrient-rich addition to your compost.
- Place the empty pods in a shallow box and fill them with potting soil.
- Place seeds of your choice into each pod and water according to seed package instructions. You should have healthy sprouts in a few days to a few weeks that you can use to start your garden!
COFFEE CRAFT #4: BODY SCRUB
You can also repurpose used ground coffee into a skin-smoothing body scrub. Just make sure to dry out the used grounds before making the scrub!
- 1 cup used coffee grounds (dry)
- 1 cup sugar or salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Scented essential oils (vanilla, lavender or citrus make great additions)
Combine the ingredients in a medium-size bowl and store the mixture in an airtight container in your shower or bath. Smooth the scrub on your skin and rinse off for an easy and eco-friendly skin saver!
COFFEE CRAFT #5: COFFEE CAN LANTERNS
Coffee canisters make great lanterns. Punch or stamp a pattern into the can, add a votive candle or electric tea light and enjoy!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Empty Chock full o’Nuts®, Hills Bros.® or MJB® Coffee canister
- 2×4 or piece of wood you can clamp to your workstation to hold the can
- Nail or screwdriver
- Votive or electric candle
- String or rope (optional)
- Remove any stickers or labels from the can and paint your desired color
- When the paint dries, attach the 2×4 or piece of wood to your workstation with clamps. Make sure 2×4 extends from the end of your workstation by the depth of your can.
- Place the can on the 2×4 and mark out your pattern
- Use the hammer and small nail to punch the pattern into the can.
- Punch two holes into the top edge of the canister to add optional string or rope to hang your lantern.
- Add votive or electric candles and enjoy